Hoarseness is a common disorder, especially accompanied by itching or dry throat. Hoarseness refers to a rough, weak, and shaky voice. This condition usually occurs due to an infection in the larynx or a problem with the vocal cords. When hoarseness is observed for more than 10-15 days, different underlying causes should be investigated.
What is hoarseness?
Hoarseness is not a disease, it is a symptom. When a sound restriction is observed, there may be loudness and tone of voice. Changes in the voice are usually related to problems that occur during the formation of sound. It can be caused by damage to the local folds located in the areas of the voice box in the larynx where it produces the sound. Because hoarseness is also seen as a side effect of many diseases, it is often temporary and can disappear quickly. But ignoring hoarseness will also be the wrong behavior because hoarseness can also sometimes indicate that you have throat cancer.
What Causes Hoarseness?
The causes of hoarseness are very many. For this reason, it is one of the most common conditions in my son. Even if there are no problems, the voice may be silenced due to a nutrient inserted into the throat. Some causes of hoarseness are listed as follows;
- Excessive smoking,
- Irritation of the throat as a result of the fact that the contents of the stomach constantly go into the esophagus,
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic and caffeinated beverages,
- Singing for a long time, using the vocal cords a lot and screaming,
- Allergies that seem special to people,
- Constant inhalation of toxic substances contained in the environment,
- Excessive coughing for a certain reason, and because of this, throat irritation occurs,
- Presence of irritating agents in the environment and their inhalation,
- Impact of the voice box located in the larynx from the outside or the inside,
- Hoarseness may occur as a result of impaired function of the thyrpid glands.
- Treatment of Hoarseness
- Some of the applications for the treatment of hoarseness are listed as follows;
If the vocal cords have been used a lot and so hoarseness has occurred, it should be listened to for a while to avoid injury and irritation. It is important to avoid behaviors that will stimulate the vocal cords. Especially it is necessary not to engage in such behavior as screaming.
Even people who smoke a lot stop smoking for a while will allow their vocal cords to regenerate.
Hoarseness that occurs due to an upper respiratory tract infection usually resolves on its own. Thanks to supportive treatments such as humidified air, cough medicines, there are decreases in sound restriction. Hoarseness improves with the passing of the disease, even if no supplements are used.
In the same way, if hoarseness has been observed due to thyroid disease or allergies, medication for them will improve hoarseness quickly. Regular use of medication may be required, especially for allergies.
Surgery may be required for major disease problems such as polyps, vocal cord injuries, larynx cancer, benign nodules. As a result of the operation, the muffled sounds may be restored.